Burgh Island Day Trip
Cruiser day trip to Burgh Island and race back Saturday 29th June
There will be a trip to Burgh Island next Saturday 29th June, if the weather is suitable. The plan is anchor off the island for a lunch stop and then race back in the afternoon.
Winds were forecast from the North East a couple of days ago. Westerlies are currently forecast. So we have to have an adapatable plan!
Anchoring: As I am sure you all know Burgh Island is off a sandy beach and the causeway is fully exposed at low tide. The anchorage marked on charts is off the beach to the North East of the Island. There is a better one off the beach to the West of the Island.
In Westerly winds: We will anchor at the anchorage shown on charts which is off the beach to the East of the Island but taking care to avoid the Murray Rocks which extend North East from the Island. It is therefore between the Island and the mouth of the Avon rather than close in to the Island.
In Easterly winds: We will anchor in about 4 to 5 metres off the beach immediately to the West of the Island.
It is suggested that rather than all anchoring separately we raft up alongside (larger) anchored yachts. But purely at the discretion of the skipper of the anchored yacht.
Tides: High tide is at 16.18 4.4 metres. So the tidal stream should be running East after about 13.30 and West before that. So we should have tidal streams with us going there and back.
Timing: Noon (ish) Arrive for lunch at anchor. The more adventurous could come earlier and take a run ashore to the Pilchard pub on the Island.
14.00 – 14.15 up anchor.
14.30 start of the race back. Start line is due south of the SE tip of Burgh Island. Finish (self-timed) is due south of the Mewstone of Bolt Head.
Communications: VHF Channel 72 or ring James Jones on 070971069026 on the day or 01548 843864 beforehand
There is no need to make firm commitments about coming. Just turn up if you want to join in. But it would be helpful to e mail James Jones on email@example.com to let him know if you are thinking of coming and he will let you know if we have to cancel.
Last updated 12:29pm on 25 June 2019