RYA First Aid Course, 10am to 4pm
1. Understand the role of a first aider in regard to:
The importance of preventing cross infection
The need for recording and/or reporting incidents and accident
Assessing a scenario and circumstances to ensure they act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
2. Can perform CPR to current protocols and understand the differential for drowning.
3. Understand the importance of the recovery position and the need to modify it for small spaces.
4. Can administer first aid to those who are unconscious
5. Can identify types of external bleeding and control bleeding
6. Can use appropriate dressings, bandages and other first aid equipment available, including improvised dressings and bandages.
7. Understand the term shock, recognise and treat it
8. Can recognise and understands the treatment for hypothermia following immersion and/or exposure.
9. Recognise the signs of a reduced level of response, with particular reference to serious head injuries.
10. Can administer suitable first aid for:
burns, including scalds, chemical and electrical
minor injuries including small cuts, grazes, bruises and small splinters
11. Can choose suitable first aid equipment
First aid certificates should be refreshed or renewed every three years, other than STCW First Aid certificates which may be refreshed up to every 5 years.
£60 for members, £70 for member's guests.
Last updated 12:32pm on 7 January 2020